Thursday, November 4, 2021

Alfredo Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

We love meals stuffed inside other foods -- potatoes, squash, etc! Buffalo chicken spaghetti squash is a huge favorite in our house. So when I saw the recipe (and pictures!) for a 4 Cheese Roasted Garlic Alfredo Stuffed Spaghetti Squash on one of my favorite sites, Half Baked Harvest, I knew I had to try it! 

I am sharing the original recipe below, but I did make a few changes. 



I roasted the squash ahead of time to make sure it was cooked through, as she mentioned in her notes even though my squash were on the smaller side. I really l love the flavor of a nicely roasted squash. I used an Italian blend of cheese, as well as additional mozzarella and parmesan for this recipe. I also baked and chopped chicken thighs to add in to this to make it a little heartier. 





I used heavy cream (because I had it on hand from making chowder). I mixed the cream, cheeses and spices together, but held off on the spinach for the moment. 


I filled one squash half with this mixture for my non-spinach loving girl.

After filling that one, I added in the spinach for the remaining halves.

I baked according to the recipe. I had started the garlic when I began the squash so I was able to take it out earlier, let it cool and make the garlic butter ahead of time. I did pop the squash back in the oven under the broiler after putting the garlic butter on top. 

It was delicious and a perfect addition to your menu as this weather is turning chilly. 

4  Cheese Roasted Garlic Alfred Stuffed Spaghetti Squash from Half Baked Harvest
Ingredients:
1 1/4 c whole milk or heavy cream
6 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 Tbsp chopped fresh sage
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
1 c shredded fontina cheese
1/2 c shredded mozzarella or creamy gouda
1 c shredded provolone
2 medium spaghetti squash, halved and seeds removed
1/4 c parmesan
1 head garlic
olive oil
2 Tbsp salted butter, at room temperature

Instructions:
Preheat over to 425.
In a medium bowl, mix together milk, spinach, sage, thyme, fontina, and mozzarella. Season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
Place the squash in a baking dish and season cut sides with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1/2 of provolone cheese into the bottom of each squash, then evenly divide the milk/cheese mix among the squash cavities. Top with the remaining provolone and parmesan. Cover the squash with foil.
Slice off the top portion of the garlic head to expose some fo the cloves. Place the garlic on a piece of foil. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap it up.
Bake the squash and garlic for 30 minutes. Remove the foil from both and continue baking the squash and garlic another 15-20 minutes or until the squash is tender and the cheese is golden brown on top.
Let the garlic cool, then squeeze the cloves out into a bowl. Add the butter and 1 Tbsp sage. Mash the cloves into the butter with a fork. Spread the butter over the squash, then use a fork to scrape the squash into strands, mixing the cheese with the squash. Enjoy!

Notes
Roasting the Squash: If your squash is on the larger side, pre-roast it for 20-30 minutes before adding the cheese mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment