Thursday, October 21, 2010

Chicken Divan Recipe - HELP!

I was at a loss as to what to make for dinner tonight, and George requested Chicken Divan. The recipe he wanted, is, (of course!), the recipe that the Dunicans first ate when Mrs. McCormack made it for the church fair one year, many, many ages ago. We all loved it and Mom requested the recipe -- it then became a staple in our house -- cheap, easy, fed a crowd, what more could Mom ask for? I believe it was a standby for many of our families for many years after, as well. I haven't made it in a long time and I couldn't find my recipe tonight, so I did my best from memory -- I know the basics chicken, rice & broccoli, a sauce made with Cream of Chicken (I substituted Cream of Broccoli), mayo, lemon juice & curry powder, and topped with some cheddar.

Any of my sisters have the original recipe?

3 comments:

  1. I don't have Mrs McCormack's recipe but I like to add 1/2 cup of white wine to the sauce. I haven't made it in a long time. I think I'll have to make it next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here you go ...

    2 full chicken breasts, poached and diced (I sometimes use the roasted chickens sold in the supermarket, they make preparation much easier, and I save the legs and wings for a lunch or snack)
    2 boxes frozen broccoli spears, thawed and drained
    salt and pepper
    1 c mayonnaise
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided use
    1 T lemon juice
    1 T curry powder
    Grease the bottom of a 13" x 9" casserole dish. Combine chicken and broccoli in casserole dish. Combine mayonnaise, soup, ½ c cheese, lemon juice, curry, and salt and pepper, and spread over top of the chicken-broccoli mixture. Top with remaining ½ c cheese. Bake about 30-40 minutes until bubbly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sedun, that seems like a great addition. I will have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete