Thursday, February 5, 2009

Snow Pudding with Custard Sauce

Did anyone's mother make this? I would sit at the table watching my mother make this delicious dessert with much anticipation. I always had to add more of the custard sauce. I think of this recipe often and it brings me right back to that kitchen.

SNOW PUDDING WITH CUSTARD SAUCE

PUDDING:
1 envelope plain gelatin
1/4 c. cold water
1 c. hot water
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg
Juice of 1 lemon or 1/4 c. lemon juice

CUSTARD SAUCE:
1 egg yolk
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1 c. scalded milk
Vanilla

Soak gelatin in water for 5 minutes. Add boiling water and sugar and stir until dissolved. Add strained lemon juice and chill until it begins to harden. Beat egg white until stiff and add to slightly thickened mixture. Beat whole mixture until spongy and chill until solid. Serve with Custard Sauce.


CUSTARD SAUCE: Beat together yolk, sugar and cornstarch. Add scalded milk to egg yolk mixture and heat until thickened, stirring all the time. Flavor with vanilla and let cool.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I haven't had it since my mom passed away 5 years ago...it was a Christmas standard in our house. Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even heard of it. Sounds like something my husband would love!

    ReplyDelete