Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New Year, New Recipe

I like Katie's idea of a food related goal for the new year. Fish is not so much a problem for us. It is beans. I really like beans but my family does not. I want to work on adding more beans to our diet. I got a pressure cooker for christmas with this in mind. So I told my family once a week we are going to have meatless meals. I'm thinking beans. but we need to start slow. I cooked curried lentils as a side dish with a meal they all like. Then I froze the lentils in small batches and have been adding it to soups and stew. I also made a Minestrone with great white northern beans. Brad seems to like that, so I'm sticking with the great white northern and going to try Bridget's Brazilian Black Beans w/o black beans and meat. 

1 med onion, chopped
2-3 Cans black beans, drained
1-2 T olive oil
1 lb Cut up Chorizo, Linguica, kielbasa, pork, or ham (any combination of 2-3 meats work well)
2 cloves garlic chopped
8oz can crushed tomatoes
Topping: 1 med tomato, 1 med onion, fresh cilantro, chopped olive oil and vinegar to taste.

In a large sauce pot, saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add meat to brown add tomatoes and black beans. Simmer 20 -30 minutes, if time permits flavor is enhanced with additional simmering.

Serve beans over rive, garnish w/tomato, onion and cilantro.




2 comments: