Sunday, October 26, 2008

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Bars

I thought I'd add the first recipe. My husband and I, our girls too, love chocolate and peanut butter treats. My Mom always made a chocolate, peanut butter bar with graham cracker. I was looking for a new recipe. And found this one below on allrecipes.com. The girls and I enjoyed it. Brad said "Why mess with a good thing" and requested the original. I'm saving the recipe for a little bit of a dressed up bar, if I'm bringing them somewhere. I've been meaning to share it with my sister since I tried it last weekend. So here it is. 

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Bars  
1½ c all-purpose flour 
2/3 c brown sugar 
½ c melted butter 
2 egg yolks 
2/3 c chocolate chips 
1¼ c confectioners sugar 
1 c peanut butter 
¼ c butter melted 
1 t vanilla 
1/3 c chocolate chips 
1 T butter 
Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl combine flour, brown sugar, ½ cup butter, and the egg yolks. Mix together by hand. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until light gold. As soon as it comes out of the oven sprinkle 2/3 cup of chocolate chips. return to oven for 2-3 minutes. In a large bowl mix together confectioners sugar, peanut butter, ¼ cup of butter and vanilla. Stir in the milk. Crumble the peanut butter mix over the chocolate layer. Press down lightly. Melt 1/3 cup of chocolate chips and 1 tbsp of butter. Drizzle over the peanut butter mixture and refrigerate 2-3 hours. Cut into bars. I ended up using a little extra chocolate chips and spreading it on top. 

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, Eileen! I always love another chocolate-and-peanut-butter recipe, and I can't wait to try these. But now, for the real test: If you were craving chocolate and peanut butter bars, would you make these or the original recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Kate. That's what I need to know, Eio -- how do they compare with the original?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were more of a chocolate chip cookie base, which I love when I want the cookie taste. But if I'm in candy mode it would be the original. Also you can't beat the original on speed and summer treat, no cook. I'm keeping both because I see times I'd want one and times for the other. Brad was a no contest in his vote for the original so I'll probably make it more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, you've peaked my interest. We may have to make both and do a taste-test!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I'm not a member of the family, I'd love it if you could post your Mom's original recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here you go, Karen! Not for those who are watching their fat and cholesterol, but everyone needs a splurge now and then, don’t we?

    Mom's Peanut Butter Chocolate Squares
       2 sticks + 2 T butter
       1¾ c graham cracker crumbs
       1 c peanut butter (she says chunky, but she likes chunky, and I like creamy, so I always use creamy, and I always use Jif)
       2½ c powdered sugar
       16 oz chocolate chips

    Melt 2 sticks of butter. Combine with graham cracker crumbs, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. Press into 13"x9" pan to form a crust.

    Melt together chocolate chips and remaining 2 T butter over a double boiler or in the microwave. Mix together until smooth and glossy. Spread over peanut butter crust.

    Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Cut into 1" squares. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I melt the peanut butter with the butter and it mixs in a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer the original recipe! We tried them last night, and while they were good... they were not AS GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about Regina's Chocolate Peanut Butter cups? Those are awesome! I've even done them in a disposable Pie tin for a friend's teenager that LOVES chocolate and Peanut Butter:)Reg, do you have the recipe handy? Or my friend Tay makes Peanut Butter Temptations that are to die for. I'll make sure she see this thread.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did I mention I love Chocolate and peanut butter? Here is a recipe for a chocolate peanut butter cupcake I made this summer. The second time I just used a chocolate cake mix for the cupcakes.
    CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUPCAKES
    CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER FILLING:
    2 tbsp. heavy cream
    2 (1 oz.) squares semi-sweet chocolate, grated
    1/4 c. peanut butter
    CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES:
    6 (1 oz.) squares semi-sweet chocolate
    6 tbsp. butter
    2 lg. eggs
    2/3 c. sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    3/4 c. unsifted flour
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1. 1 hour before baking: In small saucepan, heat cream to boiling. Grate chocolate into bowl, add sugar, pour cream over chocolate and sugar; stir until chocolate melts. Beat in peanut butter until well combined; refrigerate about 40 minutes.
    2. Line 12 muffin pan cups with paper baking cups. In double boiler, melt chocolate squares and butter. In large bowl with electric mixer beat eggs until foamy. Beat in sugar and vanilla until fluffy.

    On low, beat in melted chocolate-butter mixture, then dry ingredients until just combined. Divide batter into muffin cups. Roll rounded teaspoons of filling into balls. Push each ball lightly into center of each cupcake.

    ReplyDelete