Sunday, December 21, 2008


File under: You gotta try this! It's the simplest, nicest, chocolate treat ever!

Now, if you ask my kids what my favorite candy is, they'll tell y0u it's Junior Mints or maybe Mounds or Almond Joy. And I do love those, don’ get me wrong. But my favorite candy is Chunky. I’m just generally unwilling to pay $1 for a 1½" square of chocolate with raisins and nuts. Enter: Chocolate, Fruit, and Nut Clusters that arrived in my e-mailbox this week, as if from Santa, but really from Health.com Healthy Holiday Postcard ... Healthy Holiday?! This just got better! The sidebar on the recipe says it’s healthy because dark chocolate offers stress-busting (really?! no wonder I like it so much!) antioxidants, while cranberries may help fend off winter colds and fight stomach bugs.

The other thing I love about it is it’s a half-cup of everything. That, I can remember when I’m walking through the store with no idea where I left my shopping list (usually on the passenger seat of the car).

I tried it as written, but I’d like a little more dark chocolate and a little less sweet, so I might substitute darker bittersweet or more semisweet chocolate for the milk chocolate next time.

Chocolate, Fruit, and Nut Clusters
½ c (3 oz) semisweet chocolate chips or chopped baking bar, such as Ghirardelli
½ c (3 oz) milk chocolate chips or chopped milk chocolate bar
½ c dried cranberries
½ c coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
Place the semisweet chocolate and milk chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water; make sure the water is not actually touching the inner pan. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.

Stir in the cranberries and pecans. Immediately drop by level teaspoonfuls onto a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. Clusters will keep in the refrigerator up to 5 days.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Katie! I was just looking for an oatmeal cookie recipe that contained dried cherries and chocolate chips. This is even better because it's EASY!! I love it. Going to make it right now but I'm probably going to use all semi-sweet and the dried cherries. I'll let you know how it goes. BTW, have you seen www.bakeorbreak.com? I've gotten some great recipes there. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I made these for the Christening party they were a huge hit as well as my toffee that worked this round:) YIPPEEE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried 2 variations for a party this weekend and both were well received. I added coconut to the original recipe and really enjoyed it. Then to kick off summer I made a batch of Golden Grahams cereal and mini marshmellows. The kids really loved them!

    ReplyDelete