Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow Day Recipes

It's a snow day here in PA, and in many other places around the country. Anyone have some great, warm & cozy meals they make on these chilly days?

I have taken out chicken thighs and am not heading out to the store in the snow, so I'll have to see what I have to go with them. I'm looking for something I can put in the crockpot this morning and forget about.

I think I am going to do something like this, but with thighs and in the crockpot. It was from the BHG chicken dinners link that Kate posted awhile ago. I think I'll serve with some kind of pasta, maybe orzo, and a salad.

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lb. total)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 5.75oz. jar sliced pitted green olives, drained
1 2.25-oz. can sliced pitted ripe olives, drained
2 Tbsp. capers, drained
2 Tbsp. finely shredded lemon peel
1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
3 Tbsp. snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley

1. In large skillet brown chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, turning once. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside. Add onion to skillet. Cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally and adding garlic the last 1 minute of cooking.

2. Stir tomatoes, olives, capers, lemon peel, and oregano into onion mixture. Place chicken on tomato mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 13 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F).

3. To serve, place chicken on platter. Season tomato mixture to taste with salt and black pepper. Spoon tomato mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with parsley. Makes 4 servings.

4 comments:

  1. When I first saw "Snow Day Recipes" I thought you meant recipes to keep the kids busy today & I thought of some snow recipes I'd done with a school group a few years back. They may be from Eileen, I know I at least consulted The Woman from The North Country on these ideas.

    Snow Ice Cream
    An old-fashioned treat to make when the snow is fresh and clean—perfect for the new snow on this snow day!

    2 T milk
    ¼ c sugar
    1 t vanilla extract
    3 c loose clean snow

    Mix all the ingredients, sample the result, and add more sugar and vanilla extract to taste. Eat immediately. Makes 4 servings.

    ⅛ c chocolate syrup may be substituted for the sugar and vanilla extract.

    Sugar on Snow
    When hot maple syrup is drizzled over snow, it results in a remarkably delicious candy-like substance.

    Pure Maple Syrup
    Sour Pickles (optional)
    Donuts (optional)
    Pure white snow

    Boil syrup until it registers 255ยบ on a candy thermometer. Scoop snow into large bowl or pan. Drizzle hot maple syrup lightly over snow. Use forks to eat the sticky top layer. Follow with a bite of sour pickle or your favorite donut.

    You must be very precise with your drizzle and the temperature of the syrup—too hot a syrup and the snow melts too fast—too cool a syrup and it becomes watery, straining through the snow to the bottom of the pot. The perfectly heated syrup will form a lace-like pattern across the top of the snow and quickly harden to be gobbled up by eager sugar-eaters.

    In terms of Snow Day Dinner, I had made a turkey dinner yesterday, it was already snowing, everyone was going to be home (a rarity these days), perfect. So, I thought I'd be making turkey pot pie today. No such luck. My family made short work of a 14-lb turkey. I've never seen a 10-year-old eat so much meat! And that's saying alot if you've ever seen my 14-year-old eat.

    Plan B is a big pot of sauce with meatballs and sausage. I'll put some of the meat away for sandwiches later this week (basketball playoffs start for both boys' teams tomorrow night). I think I'll put together a lasagna too (either for now or the freezer), I'm just thinking of things I have in that I can use.

    Can't wait to see what you're all thinking of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen your 14 year old eat so WOW.
    We did the snow ice cream once. It was fun.

    I for some reason think of popcorn on Snowy days, we don't get snow days. I usually pull out the air popper and make popcorn, then let the girls make pop corn balls with it. Or I make popcorn cake, I'll post the recipe later.

    I was thinking lasagna today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lasagna turned into lasagna, because those were the noodles I had at the back of the pantry, but they were a hit anyway.

    Made seven-layer bars too, it's been years. Everyone loved them. Fred was really crazy about them, seemed almost like he'd never had them before.

    Gracie is still hoping to make the snow ice cream today, yesterday got away from us.

    Popcorn balls are a good idea, do you put Tootsie Pops on the inside like Mom used to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lasagna turned into manicotti (grin).

    ReplyDelete